Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Sunday Reflections - October 21, 2015

Hello Deer Flat Family,

We’ve been in a series about the Names of God.  Each week we take an in-depth look at one of the amazing names of God and discover some significant insights.  I’m reminded often in studying the Bible, that we lose so much of the meaning and richness of what the Hebrew language says, when it is translated into English.  For instance, in English, most of the titles we bestow upon God are somewhat synonymous with one another: Lord, God, Almighty, Creator, Holy One, etc., are all titles of God that have nearly identical meanings. But in Hebrew, God’s many names are each unique and express a different aspect of His divinity.

Whenever Adonai is given in the Scriptures, it implies a measure of mercy, that God is merciful and gracious. Whenever Elohim is mentioned, it implies there is a measure of justice.

As Moses stood in front of the burning bush (Ex. 3:6) and asked, “When they say to me, ‘What is His Name?’ what shall I say to them?”  And God said to Moses, “I am what I may be.”  The Rabbi’s teach, God said to Moses, “You wish to know My Name?  I am differently called, in keeping with my diverse deeds:  El Shaddai, Tzivaote, Elohim, Adonai.  When I judge created beings, I am called Elohim, ‘God’.  When I wage war against the wicked, I am called Tzivaote, ‘Hosts’.  When waiting for a man to repent I suspend judgment of his sins, I am called El Shaddai, ‘All Nurturing.’  And when I have mercy on My world, I am called Adonai, ‘Master.’  Hence, ‘I am what I may be – I am called in keeping with my diverse works.”

Ann Spangler’s book, Praying The Names of God, is a great devotional book that you can grab off of Amazon, but you can also subscribe to her daily devotional of the same by CLICKING HERE. You can study the Names of God at a deeper level and discover far more than what I can give you on a Sunday morning.

This Sunday, we are tackling another great Name.  I can’t wait to share it with you.  It’s nothing short of amazing, and I promise, it will touch your heart!  NO ONE SHOULD MISS THIS WEEK BECAUSE IT’S GOING TO BE FANTASTIC!  Why not reach out and invite someone to attend with you, especially if you know they are feeling like nothing is working, they must not amount to much, “I’m a nobody” and just feel overlooked by God.  Their heart will definitely be touched!

I can’t wait to see you this weekend.  And I ALWAYS love having a chance to meet your friends, neighbors or family.  May the Great God of Heaven meet your needs and bless your life this week.  And, may all of the Hunters of Deer Flat get their tags filled!  See you Sunday!

You are dearly loved!

Pastor D

No comments:

Post a Comment