Friday, November 18, 2016

Sunday Reflections - November 18, 2016

HEY EVERYONE, IT’S ALMOST THANKSGIVING!

Hello Deer Flat Family,

Maybe, like me, you’ve heard this saying before: “When you see the lights going up and the Christmas music playing in the stores, you know that Thanksgiving is just around the corner.”  It’s coming at us fast.  So, I’m thinking about it and here’s a few of my thoughts…

* Where has the time gone?

* I love Thanksgiving – friends, family, food, fun, football, Christmas lights, and the beginning of Advent.

* There’s nothing like a great turkey sandwich made from the leftovers on the softest bread in the world, followed by a small piece of pumpkin pie with just a hint of whipped cream.

* I hope these people help us with the dishes before they walk out the door.

* How thankful have I been throughout this year? I found myself answering, “I’m really thankful the election season is over! REALLY THANKFUL!”

* I can get my green bean casserole fix and move on.

Okay, enough of my thoughts. What about yours? Have you been living with gratitude this year? Let’s talk about that for a minute. A grateful heart is a true blessing. It’s the ability to give God praise in the good times and the not so good times. The Psalmist declared, "I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart." Ps. 30:12

Gratitude means thankfulness, counting your blessings, noticing simple pleasures, and acknowledging everything that you receive. It means learning to live your life as if everything were a miracle, and being aware on a continuous basis of how much you’ve been given. Gratitude shifts your focus from what your life lacks to the abundance that is already present. In addition, behavioral and psychological research has shown the surprising life improvements that can stem from the practice of gratitude. Giving thanks makes people happier and more resilient, it strengthens relationships, it improves health, and it reduces stress.

Gratitude is a powerful thing. In fact, if you’re not careful with it, it will change your life. I’ll be talking to you more about it this Sunday as we look at one of the most poignant stories in the Gospel. The power of gratitude is amazing. That kind of an attitude gets God’s attention. I can’t wait to share it with you this Sunday.

Speaking of grateful – we would be so thankful if we had some capable VOLUNTEERS to help us in the Children’s area. We are in need of a couple of teachers for elementary level boys. If you have an interest, please don’t hesitate to see our Children’s Ministry Director, Julie Walker, or her assistant Larissa Esparza. They would be so encouraged and you would be so blessed.

We are headed into one of the greatest seasons of the year – Thanksgiving and Advent. We have an outstanding Musical Program being presented on December 4 and then a double good Children’s Program being presented December 11, during Second Hour.

I hope you’ll join me in reaching out and inviting friends, neighbors & family to an unforgettable Sunday at Deer Flat!

Loving You and Loving Him,

Pastor D

PS - Deer Flat Youth will be going to Cuba in June of 2017.  Are you called to go? Is your youth interested?  Please come to an informational meeting November 20th in the downstairs Youth Room at the conclusion of the 2nd service. For more information, call Heather Webster at 208-899-0586.

No comments:

Post a Comment